Wednesday newsletters all the time characteristic a resort or flight overview.
Final November, I loved a wonderful vacation in Namibia. You’ll be able to learn my journey reviews right here:
At the moment: Assessment – Airlink E190 Enterprise Class from Johannesburg to Windhoek
After I arrived with British Airways in Johannesburg, I linked to a Enterprise Class flight with Airlink to Windhoek (the final leg of my journey to Namibia). I used to be shocked by the surreal scene at Johannesburg O.R. Tambo: the most important airport was utterly abandoned, all outlets have been closed, and solely a handful of flights have been working. Sadly, South Africa is hit very badly by the pandemic, and my visit Jo’burg was even earlier than the Omnicron variant emerged within the nation. The latter result in blanket journey bans which – everyone knows now – prooved mindless and precipitated additional financial and social havoc. I do hope the tourism trade in South Africa – my favourite nation on this planet – will quickly get better.
British Airways used to codeshare with its franchise companion Comair on the Johannesburg to Windhoek route, however shifted its codeshare settlement to Airlink after Comair entered into voluntary enterprise as a result of influence of the coronavirus pandemic. Airlink is at the moment Southern Africa’s largest airline. The privately owned provider has a fleet of over 50 business jetliners and operates to greater than 45 locations in 13 African international locations and to St Helena Island. Opposite to different corporations within the aviation trade, Airlink has grown considerably throughout the pandemic, partly in response to the issues encountered by different airways within the area: Namibia’s nationwide provider Air Namibia ceased operations, and South Africa’s flag provider South African Airways didn’t fly a single scheduled flight for 18 months (the provider restarted operations although in September 2021).
The flight from Johannesburg to Windhoek – operated by Airlink’s largest aicraft kind, an Embraer E190 – was uneventful. And though the provider’s Enterprise Class product is nothing to jot down residence about (as anticipated), there was one standout: a easy but surprisingly scrumptious meal, which ranks among the many finest airplane meals I’ve ever been served (extra on that under).
I made a YouTube video with my impressions onboard, which you’ll watch right here:
- Journey: Johannesburg O.R. Tambo Airport (JNB) to Hosea Kutako Worldwide Airport (WDH)
- Airline: Airlink
- Plane kind: Embraer E190
- Plane registration quantity: ZA-YAA (beforehand a Virgin Australia plane)
- On time departure: sure (10:30 am)
- On time arrival: sure (12:30 pm)
- Miles: 724
- Flight time: 2 hours
- Seat: 2A
- Class: Enterprise Class
On this overview (extra info & images under my Youtube clip & slideshow):
- Info about Airlink
- Info about Embraer
- Enterprise Class cabin + seat
- Different inflight experiences
- My verdict (rating)
Listed below are some information & figures about Airlink:
- Airlink is at the moment Africa’s second largest provider measured by variety of flights (behind Ethiopian Airways) and the continent’s third largest provider measured by seats provided (behind Ethiopian Airways and EgyptAir) .
- Airlink collaborates with most of the largest worldwide airways globally, together with Emirates, British Airways, Lufthansa, Qatar and United Airways, by interline and codeshare agreements. This provides worldwide vacationers extra alternative and connectivity on the widest community of locations all through Southern Africa.
- Airlink is a member of IATA (the Worldwide Air Transport Affiliation) and is IOSA (IATA Operational Security Audit program) accredited since 2006. IATA is the commerce affiliation for airways throughout the globe, which helps many areas of aviation exercise and assist formulate trade coverage on vital aviation points. IATA assists airways to function safely, securely, effectively, and economically beneath clearly outlined guidelines.
- Moreover its common locations, Airlink additionally provides “Lodge Hyperlink” service: it flies to in style safari lodge airstrips positioned at Arathusa, Londolozi, and Phinda Personal Sport Reserve in South Africa.
- Airlink’s most iconic locations is St Helena, one of many remotest islands on this planet, mendacity in the midst of the South Atlantic Ocean between Brazil and Angola. The British Abroad Territory of St. Helena is finest referred to as the place the place Napoleon died. Airlink’s flight from Johannesburg to Windhoek is operated by an E190 and takes roughly 6 hours, with a refueling visit Windhoek en route.
Listed below are some information & figures about Embraer:
- Based in 1969, Embraer is a Brazilian multinational aerospace producer and the third largest producer of civil plane, after Boeing and Airbus.
- The primary manufacturing amenities and headquarters of Embraer are in Sao Paulo, Brazil, however the firm additionally has amenities exterior of Brazil, together with a manufacturing facility in Evora, Portugal, and a manufacturing facility in Orlando, Florida.
- Embraer’s most well-known plane is the E-Jet. The mannequin was launched on the Paris Air Present in 1999 and made its first business flight in 2004 with Polish LOT airways from Warsaw to Vienna.
- The Embraer E-Jet household has been an enormous business success primarily, primarily due to the airplane’s potential to effectively serve lower-demand routes. Greater than 1,700 E-Jets have been delivered thus far. The E190/195 fashions are bigger stretches of the unique E170/175 fashions fitted with a bigger wing, bigger horizontal stabilizer, and new engine.
- In comparison with lots of their opponents, Embraer business plane are considerably extra gas environment friendly and this is likely one of the the reason why main airline corporations are keen to purchase plane type this producer.
- About each 10 seconds an plane manufactured by Embraer takes off someplace on this planet, transporting over 145 million passengers a yr.
3. BUSINESS CLASS CABIN + SEATS
Airlink’s E190 incorporates a small Enterprise Class cabin. There are solely 6 Enterprise Class seats in a 2-1 structure, positioned in entrance of the 92 seat Economic system Class cabin. There’s no divider between the Enterprise and Economic system Class cabin (though a curtain is closed as soon as up within the air).
The Enterprise Class seats are upholstered in high-quality blue leather-based. With a pitch of 94 cm (37 inches) and a width of 46 cm (18 cm), the seat feels comparatively comfy. One of many seat’s arm rests holds a bi-fold tray desk, which is small however satisfactory sufficient for eating. The seat will be reclined however – sadly – lacks a leg relaxation.
The spotlight of the flight was a scrumptious meal, served roughly 20 min after takeoff. The primary course consisted of ostrich fillet with candy chilli herbed polenta, and was served on one tray with potato salad as starter and carrot cake as a desert. It was probably the greatest meals I’ve ever had in Enterprise Class (the ostrich tasted terrific).
Airlink doesn’t present (personal) leisure screens on its plane, not even in Enterprise Class, so be certain that to deliver your personal leisure when flying with the provider.
6. ONBOARD INTERNET
Airlink has not put in WiFi on its aircrfaft.
7. MY VERDICT
- Seat consolation (upright): 7
- Seat consolation (mattress place): N/A
- Meals (high quality): 9
- Meals (amount): 8
- Inflight leisure : 0/10 (not out there)
- WiFi: 0/10 (not out there)
- Service: 8/10
- Cabin design: 5/10
- General expertise: mediocre (aside from the good meal)
*** Observe me on Instagram, YouTube, Twitter or Fb for a each day second of journey inspiration ***